Castile soap is made of 100% plant oils, and is completely bio-degradable and Earth-friendly.
Consider the following 12 genius ways to use castile soap!
- Body Wash: You can use castile soap as a gentle yet efficient bath soap/body wash. They actually sell castile bar soap, but if you want to use the liquid just dilute it in a 2:1 ratio of castile to water.
- Carpet Cleaner: Finally, you can make an effective carpet cleaner by mixing 1/4 cup castile into 1 cup water. Place the solution in the blender and let it fly until it forms a stiff foam. Apply as you would any other carpet cleaning product.
- Dish Soap: Make a dishwashing soap (for hand washing) or a liquid hand soap (for washing hands) by simply mixing a 1:1 ratio of castile to water.
- Dishwasher Detergent: Make a fancier DIY liquid dishwasher detergent that’s inexpensive and eco-friendly.
- Dog Shampoo: What’s good enough for you is even better for your pet! Use the same ratio listed above for an awesome DIY doggie shampoo.
- Laundry Detergent: Using as laundry detergent will save you tons of money AND help the environment!
- Mopping Solution: Use 2 or 3 tablespoons of castile soap in a full bucket of water, and then mop your floors to a sparkly new luster.
- Shampoo: Use castile soap as a stand-in for a harsh detergent-based shampoo. Mix castile soap with water at a ratio of 1:3.
- Soap Dispenser Refill: You can refill your foaming hand soap dispenser with 1 part castile soap to 4 parts water.
- Toothpaste: You can actually use castile soap in place of your toothpaste, and pure soap is much better for your teeth than the nasty chemicals they put in most commercial pastes. Just add a few drops directly to your wet brush. It works wonders, although the flavor can take some getting used to!
- Tub Scrub: You can easily make a tile or toilet “soft scrub” out of baking soda and castile soap by filling a spray bottle with a dilution of 1:3 castile to water. Then sprinkle the area you wish to clean with a liberal dusting of baking soda, then spray the castile solution over the top. Scour with a sponge or scrub brush and watch the stains disappear. This also works great on crusty stovetops!
- Veggie Wash: Make a simple veggie wash for cleansing all your produce. Add 1 tablespoon castile soap to 2 cups of water, and keep the mixture in a squirt bottle near the kitchen sink.